Sunday, May 25, 2014

X-men: Days of Future Past Review (SPOILERS)- 9.5/10


If there was one movie I was really looking forward to this summer it was X-men: Days of Future Past. As soon as I saw the first trailer I geeked out. As soon as I saw the second trailer I geeked out again. Third trailer.....loved it. And I'm going to be completely honest when I say this. Everything I envisioned in my head about this movie, and how good I was hoping it would be. This movie was a million times better. It so awesome!

Starting off by talking about Wolverine. This is the first X-men movie where Wolverine kinda takes a back seat and is the peace keeper of the film. He is in his younger body like I said so he has the bone claws. I was torn between the bone claws and the metal ones but I do think it fit very well in the story.

James McAvoy was so brilliant. I love the way he plays Professor X. Hes so good that in an interview Patrick Stewart said after watching McAvoy's performance, he wants to go back and re-shoot the other X-men films. To be so good at playing a character that you make the original want to do a better job is quite the achievement. Also the scene when young Professor X and old Professor was very intense and emotional. It was one of the most powerful scenes in the movie to me and one of the greatest scenes in the whole X-men franchise.

The villains in this movie are so complex. They aren't just evil and twisted and loves to do bad. They don't think they're evil and in their head are completely justified for they're actions, and frankly you don't really blame them.

Magneto is doing everything in his power to save the mutants from being killed off by the humans. He is willing to do anything to save his kind, including killing the mutants that stand in his way. Most people would do this to save their kind but what makes him the villain is that he doesn't care who he hurts to prove his point. Michael Fassbender is an incredible actor and I don't think they could have gotten a better person to play a young Magneto. I really enjoyed the symbolic moment in the film when the young Magneto is raising hell with the young sentinels, using them to attack the humans. Then, it cuts to the old Magneto in the future protecting Professor X and Wolverine from the sentinels. Little moments like that in the film really stand out to me and are things I appreciate in a good story.

Trask is another very layered villain who is completely justified by his actions. Mutants are extremely dangerous considering Magneto dropped half a stadium around him and use his own sentinels against him. So you can understand why any normal human being would take precautions against beings like that. I really enjoyed how his height was only mentioned maybe once? But the core of this character has nothing to do with the fact that he is a little person. I almost wouldn't even call his character a villain. Just a guy trying to do some good in the world, trying to make it a safe place (which ultimately almost causes the world to end but you have to at least give him credit for trying.)

I am just as guilty as everyone else for thinking this character was going to be just another X-men throw away character. I thought he looks incredibly stupid and not much was going to come from him but boy was I wrong. What a refreshing character to add to the franchise! He's funny and Evan Peters did such a great job portraying him as a young teen who is generally bored because everyone he knows operates so much slower then he does. I also enjoyed the little nudge at the fans when Quicksilver said to Magneto "Hey my mom knew a guy who could control metal"....for those of you who don't know, in the comic books Magneto is actually the father of Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch. I really hope this character makes an appearance in future X-men films.


If I was going to name off everyone that was good this post would be way too long. Jennifer Lawrence is always amazing and I love her as Mystique but for some reason I have a problem with when she turns back to normal Jennifer Lawrence. I have no idea why. I have no problem with her at all, I think she's incredibly talented. Maybe because her face is so familiar now? I can't put my finger on it but I'm sorry Jen it's not you...its me.

This movie did an excellent job using the characters effectively. I can't think of an added scenes that I didn't think they could have done with out. Even the future mutants like Iceman, Bishop, Colossus, Warpath and Blink, were not in the movie much but when they were they were very entertaining and did not feel unneeded in anyway. The creative way Blink used her portals to stop the sentinels were really creative and I found myself really enjoying it.

Also in this movie William Stryker is a big role in the movie. The film not only shows how he started in the military but also how he came about experimenting on mutants. Another evil Trask created was setting Stryker on the path that X-men fans new him as today.

All in all this movie is incredible. If you haven't seen it then please stop reading this and get to a theater. 3D doesn't really matter too much I don't think. I've seen it twice but both was in 3D so I can't really say. Either way you will love this movie.

                                                       9.5/10

Now I'm going to help explain the end credit scene just  in case you don't know anything about it.
In this scene it shows the villain for the next X-men movie named Apocalypse. He is the most powerful villain the X-men have ever faced. Being 5,000 years old and technically the first mutant, this scene shows a young Apocalypse using his powers to build the pyramids. Egyptian slaves are chanting "En Sabah Nur" which is Apocalypse's birth name. Off to the side of him you see his Four Horsemen. The Four Horsemen are four mutants that do the bidding of Apocalype and each represent a period during the biblical apocalypse: Death, Famine, Pestilence and War. This Apocalypse will more than likely never be seen like this again in the future. The Apocalypse that fights the X-men looks very different and my guess is will be the one we will be seeing on screen. Watch this short video and you will be caught up to speed on Apocalypse. Hopefully it'll help you get more excited for the next film.

Question of the day: Who would you rather see carry on and fight Apocalypse, Original X-men now that everyone is back or First Class? Let me know in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment